Exploring Derwent Reservoir England

The Upper Valley of the Derwent is a deep valley surrounded by gritstone edges and dominated by three great reservoirs.
The upper two dams, Howden and Derwent, were constructed between 1901 and 1916 and they were such a large undertaking that a village called Birchinlee was constructed in the upper valley to house the workers and a narrow-gauge railway was built between Howden Dam and the Midland Railway at Bamford. Traces of both these may still be seen. The dams were opened by King George V in 1916.

 



 

 

 

A view of the road bridge that leads to a parking area and toilets at the lower dams .

 

 

 

A Shot of the overflow on the upper dam taken from a distance

 

A closer shot showing the twin towers a feature of both upper dams .

Next Index